Monday, July 9, 2012

Pregnancy, Babies, & Modesty

I recently read another blogger's thoughts on motherhood and modesty at "Our Nest in The City and I'm very impressed with Emily's bravery at voicing this concern. As a soon to be mother I adore the pictures my husband and I take every Wednesday/Thursday to document our growing baby, however, I find it highly ironic that women who support modesty have no problem whatsoever shedding the clothes for a nearly nude pregnancy photo shoot or picture. I'm not here to argue what is or is not considered beautiful. However, I wonder at what point is it acceptable to simply throw away the clothes and let it hang out so to speak? I can still see a beautiful belly bump picture with your clothes still covering your body.

And while we're on the topic, if Adam and I find out we're having a girl, our standards will not change simply because she's a little girl. In particular, when we've stopped by the clothing sections at various stores lately, we've noticed the plethora of baby bikinis for little girls. What happened to a one piece???? The world wonders why little girls want to grow up  so quickly and why they aren't appearing their age, it's because the advertising industry, Hollywood, and the television industry all shout that its perfectly acceptable to grow up quickly and become women faster than they're supposed to be. So, to get to the point, this may just be my conservative voice coming out, but I refuse to lower my standards on modesty simply because it's cute and I'm pregnant.

2 comments:

mike said...

How did you get such high standards?

Marie said...

From such awesome God-fearing parents ;-)