Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 3 of Prayer: Godly Character

Colossians 3: 12 says, "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

I chose this verse yesterday, allowing myself to mull over what it meant and what it's saying, but more specifically, what God is saying to my heart. I've been thinking about my actions lately. Do they reflect that I serve a loving and yet fearful God? Am I serving as Christ served? I would admit that I'm compassionate, but am I really giving until it hurts? Am I really meeting the needs of others who I know are in need? I'm certainly kind to most people, but what about those who know me best, like my husband and family--I usually treat them the worst, taking out my unjust anger or not communicating clearly and then getting into an argument over it. If I were kind, I'd certainly be more humble, let's just say I need to work on that one as well. Gentleness? Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. I know my tongue has the ability to tear down or build up, do my words reflect Christ? Am I patient when I'm really pushed to the point--sometimes yes and unfortunately sometimes no--I hate when I lose my cool with my students. It's an ugly side of me no one should see. So all of that is to say this....

Father,
You know my heart, Lord. I want to be the best mother I can possibly be and more importantly, the best servant and follower I can be to You. I ask that you help me during this time of pregnancy to work on these attributes that clearly indicate how I should spiritually and mentally be clothed. I want my son or daughter to see me emulate these characteristics so that they too would know the I Am. Please give me the grace to be compassionate and to act upon those who I can comfort and whose needs I can meet. When I start to lose my cool and patience, please help me to remember the way you treated others, with kindness, gentleness, and patience. I ask Lord that all this would be done to glorify Your name.
Amen.

**Next day here**

No comments: