Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 9 of Prayer: Rest

Psalm 62:5 says
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.

Matthew 11:28-30 says28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Oxen Yoke
Our only rest in life, truly comes from the Lord. It doesn't come from going to a spa and getting a manicure or pedicure. It doesn't come from getting a massage or relaxing in a hot tub. We're attentive to our physical needs as life happens, but our soul should continually strive to find rest in the Lord. Finding rest in the Lord is the only area we will truly find peace and happiness. I love the second verse especially because a yoke (see picture) is essentially a heavy load to carry. Usually, two oxen are yoked together so that one can help the other out and the weight isn't too burdensome for they are both sharing the load. If we take the Lord's yoke, he tells us in advance that it is light; he will help us carry the load. How blessed are we that in fact he did take the weight of the world on his shoulders by dying for the sins of the world.

Father,
Help me to continually keep my mind on You and to find rest in you daily. I know I can find this rest by spending time with You in Your word and in prayer. During this time of pregnancy, we have forty weeks to wait and rest in You in preparation for getting ready for our little one. I want to be the best mother, just as Adam wants to be the best father, but we know first and foremost we must take care of our spiritual needs. Help us to give daily to you our worries, burdens, trials, temptations, etc. and know that you are right there with us, carrying the yoke.
Amen

**Next day here**

No comments: