Sunday, August 19, 2012

First Day of School

August 13, 2012
Ok so technically the first day of school was last week, but better late than never, right?! Well as you can tell, I was pretty pumped and excited, ready for the first day to begin! However, as the time drew near for the first block bell to ring, I had a student come out in the hallway to tell me that he could not sit in the seat I had assigned him. He went on to explain that he and the boy he was near did not get along. I told the young man to remain in the hallway with me until the bell rang and when we walked in the classroom together he was to get his belongings and move to the opposite side of the classroom. Well, no sooner did we walk in together than the other boy start up with some sleazy comments. I can't quite remember what was said, but I knew I couldn't allow me or this baby to get stressed out. So, I told the young man I previously spoke to go out in the hallway, where we went across the hall to see Office Acord (our SRO) who kindly handled the situation for me. By the end of that first block that boy had been removed and transferred into another class. Needless to say that first five minutes had me somewhat shaken up for the rest of the day. By the time my class arrived, I was exhausted; unfortunately, that class is my World History I course which is full of freshmen--lots of 14 & 15 year olds. And you'd think after lunch they'd be calm, but they are always ready to go, full of energy! I'd like to say this group isn't a handful, but that'd be a lie. So please, say a pray for me! The rest of the week went by pretty fast, but it was also exhausting. Hopefully with procedures and rules in place and with the kids becoming more familiar to me and vice versa, things will start to calm down! Until then, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the rest of my weekend!

No comments: