Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let's go back to Thanksgiving!

Appetizers
It felt crisp outside today, a little cooler than usual. It reminded me of the feeling of fall and how much I missed it! Because I am such an awesome horrible blogger, and didn't blog much up until this point, I never shared the photos I took during the holidays. Ergo I am correcting my ways! Oh and by the way, sometime in the next few days I'll share with you the uhhhhmazing homemade apple pie I made, but for tonight I'll simply recap my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving! Now don't get me wrong, I love Love LOVE Christmas, but there's just something in the simplicity in the gathering of families and food together whilst remembering what we're thankful for that is special to me.

Mom & Adam making Chex Mix
In my family, we always sleep in then start the day with turning on the tube and listening to as well as watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Next, dad will usually get the appetizers ready and we munch on those all day long. Mom and Adam have come to love making their own version of the beloved Chex Mix. Then throughout the day, Mom and I will prepare and make all the traditional Thanksgiving fixings with the addition of a new recipe or two.

Anywho, all of this is to say how wonderful it is to remember what we're thankful for throughout the year, not just at Thanksgiving. Normally these "I'm thankful for" lists go on and on and there's only three things that I wanted to mention today:  (1) how great it is to know the I Am (it is extraordinary to serve the God in whose image we are made of, and in who's power we were created. There is no better realization that without Him my life would be meaningless). (2) I also want to thank my brother for standing up and not looking back after taking the plunge of faith. You're an inspiration to me and I'm proud of you. I am thankful for all the memories we share growing up, even the times we fought and couldn't stand to be around one another. We may be miles apart but you're no more than a thought (or phone call) away! And lastly (3) I'm thankful the Lord has placed me where he has at Charles City. I seem to have forgotten the opportunity I have to share who the Lord is and to be a positive light to my students. So I'm thankful for being pushed out of my comfort zone and strengthening me through the experiences I have had there! I'm not quite where I should be, but I'm much farther and better off than where I once was!

So in return what are you thankful for? What have you forgotten to remember and praise the Lord about since Thanksgiving? (Please feel free to share!)

No comments: