Thursday, March 21, 2013

MIL's Meat & Potato Pie

Step 1
Step 2
Despite being new to this whole mommy role, I've thoroughly enjoyed my role as a wife to Adam and hope to for many MANY years to come. In becoming a wife I certainly found myself reveling in the whole "domestication" process. Not that becoming a wife necessarily means that for all women, but it did for me. All of my creativity and energy became focused on pleasing Adam, but now this includes my son as well. I want to be the best wife and mother I can possibly be each day. At the moment, that's keeping the house clean, having a hot meal (or hot leftovers) on the table each night, and taking care of Caleb. As for tonight, I thought I'd share with you my mother-in-law's meat and potato pie recipe--more commonly known as Shepherd's Pie.
Step 2

Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 cups frozen hashbrowns
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
  •  3/4 cup diced meat (chicken, hamburger--I prefer Jimmy Dean sage sausage: 1 lb cooked)
  • 1/4 cupped chopped onion (optional)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • Parsley flakes (optional)
Step 3
Directions
          1.  Put oil in the bottom of a 9" pie plate and add frozen hashbrowns (I like to mix them up thoroughly) -- bake @ 425 for 15 minutes
          2. Mix cheddar cheese, meat and onion -- immediately layer on top of cooked hashbrowns
            (I prefer to mix the potatoes with the cheese and sausage rather than layer)
          3. Mix milk, eggs, salt, and pepper then pour on top of dish
          4. Bake @ 425 for 30 minutes
          5. Add parsley flakes (optional--I usually skip this)
            Step 3

**I never follow this to a "t"--in fact I always use a bag that contains 2 cups worth of cheese and I usually use a whole bag of hashbrowns that's just over 3 cups. It's good to let everything just overflow with this recipe. Oh and it's a-okay if the hashbrowns aren't frozen. I've used them completely thawed out before and it's worked just as well! When everything's done it'll look like the finished product below. This recipe can be tweaked and you may add vegetables to this dish to follow a more traditional shepherd's pie recipe, but if you fix it like this then I highly recommend adding something green to the side like green beans, broccoli, etc. Enjoy!

Step 4: The End :-)

No comments: