Tuesday, August 5, 2008

YEC & Kings Dominion

Wow! What an incredible week and weekend! From July 30-August 1 I was asked to help at YEC (Youth EnCounter) for the college. The trip down flew by--I rode with Jacob and DT--we stopped and had lunch in Roanoke and then Jacob and I watched "Van Helsing" until my computer died. Once we got to Richmond we went straight to the RIR -- Richmond International Raceway where we helped set up the Bluefield College tent/exhibit. That night everyone helping with YEC had dinner at O'Charleys. It was no nice to be surrounded by people I hadn't seen that often or not at all.

By Thursday we helped out and ran the exhibit all day! It was so hot and muggy. I helped greet people as well as set up the pins for human bowling. Poor Luke & Jacob had to buckle and roll the people in the "bowling" ball--the sure did work hard but were wiped out by the end of the day! I was actually asked to speak and give a short message/testimony/encouragement during session 1. About an hour before I was really nervous, but once I was able to listen to Sonicflood and the comedian Thor Ramsey I felt more at ease and ready to go. My little message was short and to the point---about being "Driven" (which was this year's theme) and how I'm driven by serving. I don't think I did all that well, but it sufficed. After all, it was for the Lord and those youth, not me! That night we were asked to hold signs for those to follow duing the invitational and afterwards we were able to hear Grits and Sanctus Real perform. It was great! After a long day we were all wiped out. By the time we got back to the hotel we all crashed!

Friday was amazing! The last session was held that morning. It was also the morning we gave away scholarships and some cool prizes (Wii and Ipod Touch). After cleaning up our tent/exhibit and holding up the signs once more for another invitational we left and made our way to Kings Dominion. I must add here that we ate at Sheetz for lunch and much to my embarrassment I was in line waiting for my order and a man had come and set his really huge drinks behind me that I just happened to knock over and all over the place! I was mortified. Well not so much mortified as I was scared that the man would yell at me. But thank goodness he was nice and helpful! Ok so after Sheetz we went to Kings Dominion where we all nearly died of a heat stroke becuase it was so hot! We rode Shock Wave, Drop Tower/Zone, the Grizzly, Fear of Flight, Ricochet, Rebel Yell, the Volcanoe, the Crypt, and the Hurler, and of course we hit up the water park! It was so much fun! I hadn't been to an amusement park in a while so it was nice to feel like a kid again (what was even better is that the school paid our way in)! Not only was it "fun" but I was able to spend more time with great people: Luke, Sharde, Kris, Jacob, Brinton, Brittany, Sarah, Tori, and Mark. After our adventures were over and before we made our way back to the hotel for the last time we stopped and had some Italian ice cream at Gelatto's. All in all this was a great trip and I'd give it a rating of two thumbs up!

No comments: